Tuesday, April 12, 2011

When One Person's Humor Becomes Another Person's Pain

Part having a child with some medically complex issues is going to the lab for blood draws on a fairly regular basis. Every three to six months I take my daughter in to our nearest clinic and have her blood drawn for a complete blood count, and to check the levels of two of the meds she is on. Pretty simple, really. They have always been very nice, and it is a simple in and out process...Today, it was different.

On the bulletin board next to the lab chair, there were some pictures. Most were silly animal pictures, which would lead one to believe that whoever posted these pictures on the wall thought they were funny. What happens when what someone thinks is funny, is degrading and insulting to another? Our country is founded on freedom, and the freedom of speech is one of those. So, does that give people the right to humiliate others? Does it give them the right to make others feel like they are the butt of all jokes? Or is it sometimes complete ignorance that people would even think something is hurtful? I would venture to say more often than not it is the latter. Many people live in a world that is centered around themselves. They don't stop to think for a second that people might be offended or hurt by the things they say or do. Why should they? It doesn't effect them, people shouldn't be so sensitive, if you don't like what people say walk away...The excuses go on and on.

Now, I love my daughter's doctor and we have never had a bad experience with any of the staff in any of the clinics we have gone to. This clinic isn't even the one that her doctor practices in, just the same organization. I don't even know who the sucker was that posted the picture, but I'd think they need to attend some extra sensitivity training. I'm just a parent..What if some self-advocate with a disability came in and saw the picture...and read the words? How many have seen it before me, and been offended but not known what to say? Do you speak up when what someone thinks is funny hurts you?

The image is likely forever engraved in my head...I sat there with my daughter who, for today, I will thank God she can not read...

The picture was of two baby chicks...There appeared to be something wrong with one, who knows maybe it had Rett Syndrome...And the words read..."RETARD: everyone knows one."

Twenty, even ten years ago this may have been a more acceptable joke in society...Who knows when the picture was printed...But it isn't ten or twenty years ago...It is today...It is 2011, in a time when individuals with disabilities and their families fight day in and day out to be equals in society. The pain and the discomfort I felt today was huge. I fought back the tears, as I felt like I was crawling out of my skin...As I hugged my daughter close...

And you can bet I said something! If this joke had been racially based, it never would have been put on that board. I have a dream...That one day my daughter will live in a society where one person's humor isn't the source of another person's pain. In a society where there is no hatred, only equality..Until then, I stand up, and will continue to fight for her rights, and the rights of all people with disabilities. Will you stand up with me and fight the fight?

5 comments:

  1. Atrocious. did they take it down? were they ashamed? im so so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ashamed...I wish...When I asked if anyone had complained about the pictures, she said "which one?" I pointed to 'it', and she said "nope, but I've been waiting for someone to say something.

    I told her how offensive I thought it was, she said "well, I can take it down."

    I spoke with my daughters nurse later in the day, and she said "that's so inappropriate, I will make sure it is gone now."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! A doctors office? That's a pretty ignorant thing to display. Good for you for saying something, I can't imagine you were the only one offended by it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. People can be so insensitive and I'm appalled that the person that you complained to was not more understanding that the remark is hurtful. I am so sorry that you had to experience that and especially at a doctor's office that you frequently visit and should be a comforting environment!

    ReplyDelete